Thursday, August 21, 2008

Technology 2.0.0.8

So I find myself pulled in different directions being 26 years old in 2008.
Apparently my generation is defined as the internet generation. We are expected to be connected to everything all the time. I am informed by my wife that I need a blog, twitter, myspace, facebook, website, text messaging, instant message, sky writing air plane, digital marquee, and whatever else can tell the world what I'm doing at every moment.
So I guess my compromise is starting this blog. I am what some may call an introvert. I like my privacy and I like some time away from the rest of the world. So I choose not to be connected in every way and I'm ok with that.
I feel that while we now have more ways than ever to be connected with everyone we've ever crossed paths with, we are truly the least connected. How often do we actually speak to someone? When is the last time we held a face to face conversation with an old friend. If we are going to find new ways to connect with people, I challenge everyone of us to hold on to those most personal ways such as phone calls, handwritten letters, and even impromptu visits.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not against new ways of communicating. I just hope we don't lose the personal touch with all these new ways of mass communicating.

No comments: