Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Men's Room

If you were to enter a church for the first time, what would grab your attention and let you know that you are cared for?
I think most people would look at the atmosphere, maybe expect people to say hello, and a whole slew of other typical answers to this question. My answer would be "the men's room." If I were to walk into a church and needed to visit the little boys room and walked into a room of flowers, pink accents, and a small couch, I would probably head out the door running.
So here is my advice to pastors looking to create a welcoming space for the men of their church.
  1. Be sure there are dividers between the urinals...very very important.
  2. I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of hot cars and motorcycles instead of flowers or scripture verses.
  3. A flat panel tv above the urinal would seal the deal and if a PS2 happened to be connected to that, I'd become a member that day.
  4. Turn an old trash can into a robot of some sort...I would recommend R2-D2.
  5. Finally, make everything automatic. There is no sense in having automatic flushers and sinks if then you have to touch a nasty towel dispenser or blow dryer or open the door with your once clean hands.

No comments: